Tommy Pastalka, 21, began sailing Optimists and Lasers on the San Francisco Bay. What began as a summertime hobby quickly became a way of life and after sailing competitively on his varsity high school team, Tommy set about gaining experience on whatever boats were available. Following high school sailing, Tommy sailed 420’s and 29ers but quickly moved to the Melges 24, enjoying the responsiveness of a skiff or dinghy but appreciating the speed and team camaraderie of keelboat sailing.
Finishing 2nd in the 2010 S.F. NOOD regatta, Tommy went on to a 3rd place finish at the San Francisco Melges Gold Cup and finished the season with a 1st place finish at the Herb Ross/ Peter Mitchell regatta out of the SFYC. 2010 also included a 3rd place finish at Tahoe Melges race week, a favorite sailing destination for Tommy. In 2011, Tommy won the Rolex Big Boat Series with a perfect picket fence onboard Double Trouble and went on to win the 2012 Three Bridge Fiasco on board a friends J-24, Badfish. In 2011/12, Tommy will be focusing on Melges 24 sailing, competing at the nationals in Seattle, North Americans in San Francisco and eventually competing at the world championships in 2013. Currently, Tommy is studying economics and environmental studies as a junior at the University of California, Santa Cruz and is on the varsity sailing team.
- 2nd in division, Melges 24 Full Throttle S.F Sperry N.O.O.D.S 2010. Bow.
- 3rd overall, Melges 24 Full Throttle Melges 24 Race Week/Gold Cup 2010. Bow.
- 5th in division, Melges 24 Full Throttle Leukemia Cup 2010. Bow.
- 1st in division, Melges 24 Full Throttle Herb Ross/Peter Mitchell Regatta 2010. Bow.
- 1st in division, J-125 Double Trouble Rolex Big Boat Series 2011. Pit.
- 1st in division, R/P 45 Criminal Mischief Ocean Yacht Racing Association Lightship 2 2011. Mid-bow.
- 1st in division, J-24 Badfish, (Double-handed) Three Bridge Fiasco 2012